Well… long time, no write!
It’s been an awfully long time since my last post, so today I’ll be easing myself back into blogging with this delicious recipe for my Pesto Pasta Salad. This salad is so quick and easy to throw together, so it is perfect for entertaining under short notice. It is also filling because of the pasta, so a little can go a long way.
Every time I make this salad, it is different. It is entirely dependent on what I’ve got lying around in the pantry at home, or what I can quickly go and grab from the shops. That’s the philosophy I want you to have when making this. It is meant to be a thing of convenience rather than stress, so use the ingredients you have on hand to customise your own salad.
- 190g jar pesto (or enough to coat your pasta nicely)
- 1 x 500g bag shell/penne pasta
- 3 cups chopped mixed antipasto marinated vegetables*
- 120g mixed spinach and rocket
- 200g sliced salami
- 200g diced feta cheese
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh parsley
- Handful of toasted pine nuts
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Serves 4-5 as a main meal and 8-10 as an accompaniment
*I use combination of sun-dried tomatoes, capsicums, artichoke hearts, eggplant, pumpkin and black olives.
NOTE: this recipe can easily be made vegetarian or vegan with a few substitutions/omissions. Salami and feta can be removed entirely or replaced with vegan alternatives. Pesto usually contains some kind of cheese, so a specifically vegan pesto (homemade or store bought) should be used instead for a vegan option.
- Cook your chosen pasta according to the packet instructions and refresh under cold water.
- Stir pesto through the pasta until it is well coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together pasta, vegetables, salami, basil, parsley, spinach and rocket. Place in a serving bowl.
- Top the salad with feta, sprinkle with pine nuts and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the salad with a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar.